Friday, November 11, 2005

WEDDING WITHDRAWAL? The Indianapolis Star documents a peculiar phenomenon:
Dear Hap LeCrone: I have been married for about a month, and I feel like I am missing something in my life. I spent months planning the "perfect" wedding, and now that I'm married and it's over, I really don't know what to do with myself. Because I'm a "wife" and not the "bride," I feel empty, maybe even depressed.

I imagined that marriage would be the most wonderful thing in the world, but I miss the life that I once had. I love my husband, but I find myself crying without knowing why, and my husband is worried that I am unhappy with him. I feel confused, let down and sad. Why do I feel this way, and can I snap out of it? -- E.M. from Texas

Dear Reader: What you seem to be experiencing could be called "wedding withdrawal" or the "post-wedding blues."

For the last several months, you have been anticipating a wonderful and significant life event, your wedding. You have probably spent a lot of time planning the details -- the flowers, the cake, your dress and so on.

Although this was one of the most important weekends of your life, your wedding is only a small part of a bigger picture, your marriage! Many brides and grooms get so caught up in the details of planning their wedding that they neglect to plan for what a marriage is really about.
That's a new one. (There's more.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home