Friday, October 01, 2004

CAUTIONARY NOTE Fire Chief magazine is reporting that the number of candle-related home fires has increased each year since 1995.
What underlies this devastation? First, candles have become more popular: According to the National Candle Association, seven out of 10 households use candles. Second, many people don't realize how quickly something can go wrong, and don't know the rules for safe candle use. One-third of these fires occurred after candles were left unattended, abandoned or inadequately controlled. One-quarter occurred when combustible material came too close to the flame. And 6% were started by people—usually children—playing with the candle.
The article also includes a list of sensible safety tips:
Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.

Keep candles away from things that can catch fire, such as clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees or decorations.

Place candles on stable furniture in sturdy holders that won't tip over and that are big enough to collect dripping wax.

Don't place lit candles in windows, where they may ignite blinds or curtains.

Place candles only in areas where they won't be knocked over by children or pets.

Extinguish taper and pillar candles when they get within two inches of the holder or decorative material. Extinguish votive and filled candles before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.

Avoid candles with combustible materials embedded in them, or with holders or decorations that could ignite.

Don't allow children or teens to have candles in their bedrooms.

Read the whole article here.


Post a Comment

<< Home